As we start looking to the New Year, many of us come up with resolutions to get 2014 off to a great start. We sit down and start our lists: lose weight, work out, spend more time at home, and travel more. The lists can go on and on. This year, why not take this opportunity to sit down with your child and come together to make achievable academic goals. Here are some ideas to help create and reach those academic goals together:
- Be a good role model: Many times, as parents, we have little audiences who are taking notes from their greatest role model; their parents. What a great way to show our children how to make and keep goals. Model the process for them. When things get tough, how do you keep going? How do you succeed when faced with obstacles? Take this time to teach your child how to set goals and find ways to keep them!
- Make good choices: When sitting down to come up with academic resolutions, help your child to make good decisions. When we as adults make resolutions, we need to make them reachable. For example, I will lose 20 pounds in a week and go to the gym 2 times a day for 30 days. These goals are more than likely unreachable. In the same respect, help your child make clear, achievable, and measurable goals. As you move forward, goals can always be adjusted!
- Help your child reach their goals: This might look like making a quiet space available for studying and doing homework. Another way would be to help set times to do homework. By doing those things you can take guesswork out of the equation. Finally, keep healthy snacks available for brain breaks.
- Give your child a reason to reach their goals: It always helps to have an incentive to reach our goals. That doesn’t have to cost money! A reward could look like a favorite dinner meal or a family movie night.
- Finally, take time to connect as a family: Share your experiences with resolutions. Take the time to share how you find success. And lastly, just have fun!
As we look to reach our academic goals this year, we here at Sylvan would love to help in any way we can! As a partner in the New Year, let us work together to help your child reach their goals!!!