SCHOOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER!
Campfires, fireflies, sleeping in, driving with the windows down and soaking up the sun are just a few of my favorite things about summer. A break in our daily routines, a chance to escape and time off of school. It all seems so refreshing. But how much damage are we really doing when we take this three month mental break?
Research tells us that “summer brain drain” happens when:
- there is less reading, conversation and quality time with parents or other significant adults
- there isn’t access to books, magazines and other entertaining reading materials
- there aren’t role models to show how lifelong learning is important to children and adults alike
- summer is filled with boredom, passive time-fillers and little intellectual stimulation
Did you know Summer Learning Loss is greater in math than in reading, and on average, students lose up to 2 months of grade level equivalency in math computation skills?
- Help students find books that are engaging and entertaining (and on grade level!). Use your local library and Sylvan Learning Center as a resource! It’s what they are for!
- Keep your child stimulated with plenty of exercise!
- Make sure they keep reading, writing and calculating!
- Be a good role model! Make sure you practice what you preach!
Summer is a great time for relaxing and shooting the breeze, just make sure you don’t let too much “drainage” occur! Check back soon for more ideas and activities to boost your brain!